Monday, January 12, 2009

I Thought He Was Gone Already ...

So today, Dubbya held the last press conference of his Presidency. It was held at a rather strange hour, mid-morning, and had the depressed air of a not-quite-thought-through exit. I was amazed at his continued denial of all that has gone wrong, other than (and this is interesting) the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED banner on the aircraft carrier. Not his hot-dogging non-flight in, but the banner. And he believes history will be kind to him. He also made a reference to his (so-called) previous drinking problem. If it's not a problem, why is he talking about it, especially now?

The whole conference was an embarrassment. Which is maybe why it was held in the hour after late breakfast, almost guaranteeing no audience. I was surprised he actually held the conference, since he has been steadily distancing himself from the Presidency for quite some time. Bob Woodward has mentioned on Bill Mahr's show that Dubbya hasn't gotten daily briefings in months. He has handed all that down to the next in charge, some undersecretary or something. Not only has this man headed the most destructive, pillaging, criminal administration in history, he seems proud of it. He has bankrupted our national ecomony, his hands are covered in the blood of thousands of our bravest and best, and hundreds of thousands of Iraquis, along with the poor transient tribes that got caught in the middle, have been beaten back into the stone age, which Cheyney certainly supports. His obsessive paranoia and melagomaniacal ideal that he is, in some way, the Messiah. Or was that the Decider?

And yet, when I see his drawn face, and the confused look in his eyes, if I were a better person, I would feel some sympathy. But I'm not, and I make no excuses. As far as I'm concerned, there ought to be a Congressional investigation post-inauguration that would include Cheyney and the rest of the gang, Rummy, Baker, Rice, all of them. That would be, however, after the center square drawing and quartering of Bernie Madoff.

But I digress. Which is my style. Work with me here.

And so on tonight's news I hear what I've been waiting for: the announcement that government plans will most certainly be cut, and "hard looks" will be taken at Social Security and Medicaid. Well, of course. Get the gomers, most of them won't (or can't) fight back. And the insurance companies will certainly join in. Pay attention, my friends. The times they are a-changin'.

2 comments:

  1. Did you watch the Daily Show this evening? Jon Stewart had a brilliant take on the press conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did, which is probably what got me stirred up a bit later!

    ReplyDelete